Tuesday, March 24, 2009



BEFORE & AFTER: "Aspen on Hwy 104" was begun in Mark Daily's class last fall. The point was to quickly capture the essence of the lighting of the scene in the block-in. "Key the painting to white" was emphasized when Mark demoed. He gave careful atention to the lights (values and colors) as they would represent the light source. Above is my field study.
Now, I'm ready to turn it into a painting. Below is the the second version of my efforts. I tried to capture more of the light and improve on the composition. I particularly didn't like the six tree trunks in a row; and the other trees and space behind the aspen was vague. I think this is an overall improvement, but now I want to work on the trunks more.... more variety of thickness and angles.... work on foreground grasses and shadow....

What do you see that I might be missing?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Marie: I like the composition in your second attempt..very nice. I do miss some of the color you captured in the first one..The colors in the trees are more interesting in the study because of the light. Remember where your light is coming from...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, you are absolutely right! Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete